Q3 Report on Progress Toward 2014 Goals

The decline continued this quarter.

Physical Wellbeing

Following three months of no real physical activity beyond a few bike rides coupled with relatively uncontrolled eating , I finished the quarter at 222 lbs. I’m not sure if this apathy about my body came from a depression or brought is about, but I found myself with very little motivation and no conviction to do anything about this decline. I am very distant from my goals for this year in this category.


The book on selling has languished in this quarter. I made a major revision that one reader took a look at and received her positive feedback about the changes, but I failed to re-read that version myself and make notes for improvement, as I had intended. I did have a brief moment of excitement about the book in September when in Oakville, waking from my sleep with a full set of ideas about an important change I need to make. I wrote down those thoughts, but haven’t yet processed them in a new revision.

Similarly, the work I started for a book on Problem Solving has also remained untouched. I’ve been thinking about it but have put no words to paper (or typed no words in a data file).

I have written no haibun or free verse in this quarter. I have not been a committed writer – one who has to write something each day.


We had lots of family time in this quarter as we frequently had many members of Dianne’s family, my mother, Quynn and Aryn out to the lake for weekend visits. However, we had all too little time with Kelly, David and Cooper.

Dianne and I were kept quite busy with her move and the family events so didn’t get the quality of time together that we were wanting. However, we travelled by truck to Ontario and back throughout September and had a good time as urban adventurers. During this visit, we got to spend time with Ray and Nancy at her place near Acton, and her mother’s cabin near Huntsville; time with Donna and Jeff both before and after the wedding of their oldest daughter Alicia; and time with Dave and Lorraine at their home in London.

I did get to spend time with Nancy and Ray, but only managed a short visit over lunch with Kathy. There was no interaction with Florence in this quarter, reminding me how important our past gatherings in Jasper for a week during both June and September have been.


My use of my camera was pretty much restricted to photos taken during September on our travels. I don’t feel like I have proved myself to be much of a photographer either. This quarter was probably my least creative quarter since 2004.


Once again, I am delinquent in keeping my website up-to-date on a monthly basis, only bringing it up-to-date after the end of this quarter had already passed.


We did travel in this quarter.

We did an RV trip to Sundre, Alberta where we spent an afternoon on a rafting trip on the Red Deer River. We rafted through the section of river that I had kayaked many times in my thirties but I had only fleeting recall of some of the sections of the river where we used to play.

We did another family gathering weekend at Mount Kidd RV resort in Kananaskis Park, Alberta. Quynn and Aryn joined us as we spent the weekend with Dianne’s family.

Travelling in our RV in July, we visited Steve and Mary Lynn, Zia, Josh and Mavis Gokiert in Revelstoke, BC where we spent a few days, and then moved on to meet Gary and Julie Chichak in the municipal campground in Kaslo, BC. We spent 4 days together in the Kaslo area driving, hiking and biking. I managed some photography in Kaslo aboard the museum ship S.S. Moyie and in the derelict town of Sandon, BC. As the weather was turning to cold and wet, and as it was time to head home, I talked everyone into going south to Kikomun Provincial Park where we could see and photograph the painted turtles in Hidden Lake. However, the sour weather followed and in the cold, the turtles remained out of site.  After a night there where we met a couple of American cyclists and shared a spaghetti dinner, we drove home in heavy winds.

Dianne and I set off for Ontario in our truck on September 1 and returned October 1. We travelled straight east on Highway 13 eventually reaching Saskatchewan where we headed diagonally south to go to Kerrobert, the birth place of my father. We then made our way to Lake Diefenbaker and on to Moose Jaw. We did the Al Capone tunnel tour in Moose Jaw and were suitably entertained by the actors.

From Moose Jaw, we travelled through Manitoba, camping at Bird Hill Provincial Park outside of Winnipeg. The cool weather demotivated much activity in the area so we hit the road and turned south at Kenora Ontario into the Lake of the Woods area. This is a very beautiful part of the province with many small lakes. We would like to return with a canoe.  Unfortunately, I stepped carelessly off the edge of the side walk at the Lake of the Woods Discovery Centre and sprained my ankle. This totally reduced my ability to hike and ride my bike for the remainder of the trip (very frustrating).

We then travelled to Oakville via Manitoulin Island where we camped another night. Sour weather again kept us from exploring the island and we headed for the ferry instead. This almost two hour ferry ride took us into farm country in Ontario where we drove through small town after small town. The leaves on the trees were just starting to change colour.

We then spent time at Nancy’s home before she and Ray arrived from their own drive from Winnipeg, spent time at Donna and Jeff’s before the wedding, attended Alicia’s wedding, spent time with Ray and Nancy near Acton then up at Harp Lake near Huntsville and Algonquin Park, visited with Donna and Jeff again attending a Blue Jays baseball game with them and visiting the Hockey Hall of Fame, then visited Dave and Lorraine in London Ontario where we were taken to the lovely Dorchester golf course and to Grand Bend and Pinory Provincial park along the shores of Lake Superior. They also took us to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake where we were suitably impressed.

We drove home through Sarnia where we crossed into Michigan, travelled though Flint, Mackinac over a long bridge over a channel joining two of the great lakes, and then across the top of Michigan and Minnesota, coming up to Winnipeg through a sliver of North Dakota.

In Winnipeg, Midtown Ford gave us exceptional service without a prior appointment as we needed our oil changed, and we then headed home as fast as we could legally drive on Highways 1 and 2. This was a good trip across much of our country, leaving us hungry to see more of the provinces further east.


The complete disappearance of a will to be healthy culminated in a significant increase in weight, an overall disgust with my physical state, and a deep sadness. I have participated in life this quarter buy only minimally.

leaves turn
the cold creeps in
and settles